4. Define enzyme
An enzyme is a biological catalyst that speeds up the rate of chemical reactions occurring in living organisms.
D is also for definition (The Where question)
5. Where are enzymes synthesised in a cell?
6. Where are enzymes modified and packaged in a cell?
In the Golgy body.
E is for examples and effects
7. Example: State an example of enzymes involved in the digestion or hydrolysis of each of the following substrates:
a) Starch - Amylase
b) Proteins - Pepsin
c) Fats - Lipase
d) Maltose - Maltase
e) Lactose - Lactase
f) Sucrose - Sucrase
g) Cellulose - Cellulase
8. Effect: What would be the effect on digestion if enzymes were unavailable?
Digestion would be slowed down drastically.
F is for factors
9. State four factors that affect enzyme activity.
Temperature, pH, enzyme concentration and substrate concentration.
G is for graphs
10. Sketch a graph for each of the factors on enzyme activity. Label the x-axis and y-axis correctly.